Click here to download
|Who||CARHA Hockey, a national not-for-profit sport organization dedicated to providing resources and benefits to the adult recreational and old-timers hockey market in Canada|
|What||The Molson Canadian CARHA Hockey World Cup presented by Lulu Island Winery is hosted every four years in a select Canadian city and is the largest adult recreational hockey tournament in the world, attracting participants from all across Canada, the United States, Asia and Europe|
The tournament was originally scheduled for March 2020
|When||March 19th to 26th, 2023|
|Where||Richmond, British Columbia|
|Official Event Name||Molson Canadian CARHA Hockey World Cup presented by Lulu Island Winery|
Use full name when first referring to the event. Can be shortened after to Molson Canadian CARHA Hockey World Cup
|Event History||Windsor in 2016 (134), Sault Ste. Marie in 2012 (116), Quebec City in 2008 (167), Ottawa in 2004 (126), Vancouver in 2000 (135), Toronto in 1996 (96)|
|Official Spokespersons||Lori Lopez (LLopez@CARHAHockey.ca)|
Lucy Peeling (LPeeling@CARHAHockey.ca)
|Honourary Chair||Kirk McLean (click here for press release)|
|Sponsors and Key Partners||Molson Canadian, Richmond Sport Hosting, Richmond Hotel Destination Association, Tourism Richmond, Province of British Columbia, Lulu Island Winery, Cyclone Taylor Sports, Gadar Promotions, HerbaLand, Keener Jerseys, Lawrie Insurance Group, McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver Airport, Pizza Pizza, Richmond Sockeyes, River Rock Casino Resort, Stanley’s Grill, SummerSkates, Universal Coach Line, Vancouver Sign Group, Westcoast Sightseeing, XBox|
|Game Venues||Richmond Olympic Oval, Richmond Ice Centre, Minoru Arena (Feature Game only)|
|Number of Participating Teams||100+|
|Number of Participants||1500+|
|Number of Volunteers||150 (anticipated)|
|Number of Participating Countries||10+|
|Participating Countries||Australia, Canada, England, Finland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Sweden, Switzerland, United States|
|Participating Provinces||Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec|
|Estimated Number of Hotel Rooms||650 per night across 7 nights|
|Hotels||Executive Airport Plaza Hotel and Conference Centre, Hilton Vancouver Airport Hotel, Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport, River Rock Casino Resort, Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel (Host Hotel), Vancouver Airport Marriott|
|Athletes March||March 19th, 2023|
|Opening Ceremonies||March 19th, 2023, at the Richmond Olympic Oval|
|Athletes’ Village||March 20th to 25th, 2023, at the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel|
|Feature Game||March 24th, 2023, at Minoru Arena|
|Closing Ceremonies||March 25th, 2023|
|Estimated Number of Games Played||200|
|Estimated Number of Spectators||20,000-25,000|
|Cost of Admission||Free|
|Estimated Economic Activity||10-12 Million|
Click here to download
- Refer to the event as the ‘Molson Canadian CARHA Hockey World Cup presented by Lulu Island Winery’ on first mention. Can be shortened after to ‘Molson Canadian CARHA Hockey World Cup.’
- Coming to Richmond, British Columbia, from March 19th to 26th, 2023.
- Attracts participants and spectators from all across Canada, the United States, Asia and Europe to share their passion for the sport of hockey.
- Organized every four years (since 1996) in a select Canadian city, this week-long event provides adult recreational hockey players from around the world the opportunity to strive for excellence through teamwork, fair play, and camaraderie in Canada’s national sport.
The tournament was originally scheduled for March 2020.
- The Molson Canadian CARHA Hockey World Cup has been labelled the “Olympics of recreational hockey” and has grown to be the world’s largest international adult recreational hockey tournament.
- It has been held in Toronto (1996), Vancouver (2000), Ottawa (2004), Québec (2008), Sault Ste. Marie (2012) and most recently in Windsor (2016). View The Cup history.
- Through an extensive bid process that took place in 2017, Richmond, BC, delivered the strongest bid and was awarded Host City status for the Molson Canadian CARHA Hockey World Cup.
- The Molson Canadian CARHA Hockey World Cup is far more than a hockey tournament. The week-long event features Opening Ceremonies, Closing Ceremonies, March of Athletes, and an Athletes’ Village. Learn more about the athlete experience.
- Each team is guaranteed three games, leaving them much leisure time to take in all the sights and tours the City of Richmond offers.
- With the event lasting seven days, significant economic activity is generated for the City of Richmond and the Province of British Columbia, making it distinct compared to other amateur sporting events.
- The event is expected to generate an estimated $10-$12 million in economic activity in 2023.
- The March of Athletes, taking place on March 19th, will lead all participants to the Richmond Olympic Oval. This community event aims to have the streets of Richmond lined with local hockey fans and supporters to welcome and cheer on the 1500+ participants as they march wearing their country jerseys to the Opening Ceremonies to kick off the event.
- The Opening Ceremonies is an exclusive welcome gathering for Molson Canadian CARHA Hockey World Cup participants. It is a ticketed event that allows teams to make new friends and reconnect with old ones in true Canadian fashion while enjoying live entertainment and interactive activities.
- Approximately 200 games will be played at the Richmond Olympic Oval and Richmond Ice Centre throughout the week. The televised Feature Game is played at Minoru Arena on Friday, March 24th. Game schedules will be released in February.
- All games offer free admission.
As the largest adult rec hockey tournament in the world, the CARHA Hockey World Cup receives significant press coverage. Here you will find links to all of the news items relating to the event.
As an international event featuring more than ten countries, there may be press coverage in your local paper, and we would like to feature the international coverage for everyone to enjoy. Feel free to send us your news articles and press coverage.